Last Update: Jan. 7, 2015 (Thanks to Elizabeth Levy)
Marty Berger has also scanned another family information, whose relation is not yet clear. It can be found in this directory.
Please send all corrections and additions to email@example.com .
Lazarus Zeilberger (Ermershausen, 1780-Ermershausen, Feb. 12, 1859) ("Lozi") was a cattle trader (Viehhaendler) in Ermershausen, a vilage in Hassberge County, Lower Franconia, Bavaria, Germany. His wife was Regina Schoenemann Zeilberger (Burgpreppach,1781-Ermershausen, June 11, 1846) ("Rechel").
Rachel and Lazarus (Lozi) are buried at the Ermershausen Cemetery .
Lazarus Zeilberger's father is: Veist Marx Zeilberger, a cattle trader.
circumcision of Kusel ZEILBERGER of Ermershausen : "Tuesday, the 21st Shevat 582 (= 12th Feb 1822), I have circumcised the boy name Yequtiel, nicknamed Kusel, son of the honourable Leiser of Ermershausen. Let God him grow for the Torah, the Huppah and the good deeds".
Added Jan. 25, 2007: Elizabeth Levy forwarded me Avraham MALTHETE's message containing the original mohel's report of Kusel Zeilberger's brit mila )
Kusel Zeilberger (sometimes spelled Cusel Zeilberger) and his wife Sara (b, Levi) Zeilberger had five children who survived infancy. They also had three children who didn't survive: Ricke(1857-1860), Roschen(1859-1860), and Reist (1868-1869).
- Mendel Zeilberger (Ermershausen, April 4, 1856- Ermershausen, May 30, 1915), who married Jettchen Weil (Acholshausen, Sept. 25, 1858- Ermershausen, June 3, 1914). Their children included
Note added April 6, 2000: Steven Lowenstein kindly sent me a much more complete listing of the descendants of Mendel Zeilberger , that he has compiled.
- Felix Zeilberger (who died as a child)
- Leopold Zeilberger, (May 9, 1886 - c. 1943 (holocaust)). [Added May 1, 2011, thanks to Judith Belowitz: see this page.] He married Sophia Hermann (Reckendorf, Sept. 2, 1894-holocaust).
- Gerd Zeilberger (b. April 14, 1924-holcaust)
- Ilse (Zeilberger) Rossman (Feb. 2, 1922- July 17, 2007) married Kurt Rossman. Kurt and Ilse Rossman have two sons:
- Larry Rossman-married Evelyn, who have two sons-Johnathan and Mark (married a few years ago), and one daughter-Gila.
- Michael Rossman-married Rena in April 1985. Michael and Rena have six children. Fours sons: Gershun, Josh, Dove and Jonah. Two daughters:Karen and Tzeporah.
- Manfred Zeilberger(June 3, 1920-April 13, 2011), changed his name to Fred Berger. He married Klara Hamburger(January 10, 1923- May 19, 2000). Fred and Klara Berger have two sons:
- Leslie Berger (b. Oct. 6, 1950)
- Marty Berger (b. Dec. 2, 1956)
- Lea Zeilberger Sachsendorfer (Ermershausen April 2, 1888-1971), who married David Sachendorfer (Ermershausen 1878-1955). Lea had lots of fascinating stories (as told to her grandson Steven Lowenstein, posted (Jan. 22, 2007) with his kind permission)
Lea and David Sachendorfer had four children:
- Willy Sachendofer (1912-1979),
- Yette Sachendorfer Lowenstein (b. 1914) who married Max Lowenstein in 1944. Yette and Max Lowenstein are the parents of
- Steven Lowenstein (b. New York, 1945), a great authority on German Jewish history. He is professor at American Jewish University (formerly University of Judaism). Steven was married to Marilyn Grollman, who died in 2006. Steven and Marilyn's children are:
- Ruth Lowenstein Glasser, who is married to Rabbi Yaakov Glasser of Young Israel of Passaic-Clifton, and they have 3 children named Rina, Chaim, and Neima .
- Marvin Lowenstein born June 7, 1947 married to Evelyn May on July 4, 1973. Three children: Elliot born April 1976 Stuart born 1978 Lisa (called Leah) born 1980? Marvin is a school teacher for the New York City schools and lives in Hillcrest (Queens).
- Herbert (Herby) was born on August 12, 1954. He married = Rita Schwimmer on August 4, 1985. They also have three children: David Max born 1987 Abraham Wiley (Avi) born 1989 Solomon born 1996? Herby and Rita live in Riverdale.
- Selma Sachendorfer (1916-1985)
- Max Sachendorfer (1924-1944), who was killed in WW II as an American soldier.
- Sara Zeilberger (April 18, 1890-?). Married someone in Schleusingen/Thüringen.
- Ida Zeilberger Gutmann (1894- c. 1990), who married Selly Gutmann,
- Rosa Zeilberger Herrmann, who married ? Herrmann.
- Fanni Zeilberger Blaettner (Ermershausen, July 15, 1861-?), who married (Aug. 16, 1880) cattle-trader Hirsch Blaettner in Schwanfeld.
Added Aug. 10, 2008: Rabbi Jeff Marx kindly allowed me to post the Hirsch Blaettner tree]
They had 4 children
- Rosa Blum who had two children
- Julius Blum who had 2 children:
- Larry Blum
- Kenneth Blum
- Regina Stohl who had one sone
- Paul Stohl
- Leo, who had two children:
- Walter, who died of cancer and has one son
- Gretel (Carol) who had a son and a daughter named Joan
- Selma who married Siegfried Wolf. They had two daughters:
- Inge , who married Leo Katzman . Inge has two children,
- Michelle Malovsky who has five children
- Warren Katzman who had five children
- Trude/Carola Fleischmann, who has two children:
- Karein, who has 14 children
- Howie, sho has three children
- Hedwig who married ? Plaut and who had one son. The three of them perished in the holocaust.
- Karolina Zeilberger Kissinger ("Lina") (Ermershausen, March 9, 1863 - Ermershausen, Jan. 28, 1906). Lina married ( Ermershausen, Aug 3, 1884) David Kissinger (JUne 13, 1860- July 23, 1947), a `religionslehrer' from Rodelsee. Lina and David Kissinger had the following children.
- Jenny (1885-1901(?)) the oldest, died from pneumonia.
- The second-oldest child was Louis Kissinger ( Ermershausen, Feb. 2, 1887- New York, March 14, 1982).
Louis married (Ansbach, Aug. 14, 1922) Paula Stern (b. 1901) and they had two children. Walter (born Fuerth, June 21, 1924) and Heinrich (`Heinz') (born Fuerth, May 27, 1923) (who latter adopted the name of Henry), Kissinger. Henry Kissinger was at one time, `the most admired person in America'. He has two children from his first wife, Ann Fleischer: Elizabeth, a physician, and David Alexander, a lawyer-turned-TV journalist. David is married to Alexandra Rockwell, and they have four children. Elizabeth has one child. Walter Kissinger is married to Eugenie van Drooge and has four children: William, Thomas, Dana, and John. William is married to Ann and their children are Sara and Mara. Thomas is married to Annette and they are the parents of Nancy and Paula. Dana is married to Jeff Matray and they are the parents of Jeanne Catherine and Tamara John and his wife, Catherine Clifford, now use the last name Kissingford. They have a son, Nathaniel.
- After Louis came Ida (Ermershausen, Sept. 15, 1888- Izbica, c. 1943). Ida married (Wuerzburg, Jan. 3, 1911) Siegbert Friedman, and they had three children: Bella (b. Schwanfeld, Dec. 10, 1912) and the twins Manfred and Lilli. Lilli was a teacher who died in the holocaust. See Lilli Friedman's bio, prepared by Elizabeth Levy and brought to my attention by Judith Berlowitz. Manfred died unmarried in Australia, while Bella married Julius Wallach. Bella and Julius Wallach had two children: Lisa Wallach Levy and Steven Wallach. Steven has three natural sons -
- and another son, Andrew (the son of his second wife). Steven lives in Florida. His kids live in the Boston area. Lisa Wallach Levy, who was married to Burt Levy, is the mother of Patty Wallach Knickle, who lives near Boston, and Elizabeth Anne Levy, who lives near Jerusalem. Patty is married to John Knickle and they have one daughter, Emily. Elizabeth Levy lives in Mevassereth Zion, Israel, and married (March 17, 1986) Avraham Levy. Elizabeth and Avraham Levy are the parents of Michael and Jenny. Elizabeth Levy is a great Maven in Family matters. She has a most awsome family site.
- Craig Wallach, who is married to Karen Frechette. They have two children:
- Jared joseph (b. Aug. 24, 2005)
- Shayna (b. May 27 2008)
- Phillip whose partner is Lara Shew. They have a daughter,
- Adalia Bella (b. Feb 7, 2011).
- The next child of Lina Zeilberger Kissinger and David Kissinger was Fanny (Ermershausen, July 9, 1892- Belzec, c. 1943) who married Jakob Rau, who died in the holocaust, but luckily their daughter, Lina Rau Schubach, managed to escape to New York. Lina Rau Schubach married Walter Schubach and their children are Kenneth Schubach and Carol Schubach Neuman. Kenneth is married to Nancy Furst. They have two sons, Michael and Jonathan. Jonathan is married to Stephanie and they have a daughter, Taylor. Michael is married to Jen. Carol was married to Richard Newman. Richard died in 2011.
- Another son of Lina and David Kissinger was Karl Kissinger (Ermershausen, 1898- US, ?) who married Paula Friedmann (they met at Ida's wedding). Karl lived in Ingolstadt where he had either a shoe store or a manufacturing business and was apparently quite prosperous. To his detriment, he was very active politically and ended up in Dachau where he spent several years. He emigrated to Israel with his wife and children, and later winded up in Washington Heights, New York City. One child (Herbert) had died earlier in Munich from either a sinus infection or the aftermath of an auto accident, but Margot and Erwin were the surviving children. Erwin later moved to New Jersey. Margot Kissinger married Eli Steger (Nov. 20, 1914- June 23, 2013). Eli lived in Haifa. Their children are
- Karin Steger Stern (b. 1952), who is married to Eli Stern, and who live in Kibbutz Cheftzi Ba, Israel, and whose children are
- Doron Steger (b. 1946), who lives in New Jersey and is married to Sherry Shapiro Steger. Doron and Sherry Steger are parents of
- Elana, who married Ariel Yaacov Fishman on Dec., 23, 2001 in NJ, and have 2 children:
- Atara Miriam, born August 11, 2003 in New York City
- Lilah Ruth, born May 7, 2007 in New York City
- Asher Fishman, born June 29, 2010.
- Benjamin, who married Abbie Montgomery in 2011.
- Daniella, who married David Steinberg on January 14, 2007 in NJ. Daniella and David Steinberg have a daughter,
Erwin (b. 1930) married Ruth Isner and their children are Ronald Kissinger (b. 1953) and Jacqueline Kissinger (b. 1955). Ronald was married to Mary Lisa, and their children are Justin, who is married to Erika, and Samuel. His current wife now is Lynn. Jacqueline is married to Douglas Rothman and they are the parents of Jason, Paul, and Mandeline.
- Aviv, born Sept 28 2010.
- Arno Kissinger (Ermershausen, May 18, 1901- Stockholm, Nov. 9, 1994), who managed to escape to Stockholm, where his father David soon followed, was married (Stockholm, Nov. 30, 1943) to Erika Mayer (who died in 2001), and lived in Stockholm. They no children.
- David Kissinger's had a brother Simon, who was killed in a German concentration camp. So too, were his sons Ferdinand and Julius, who like their father and uncles were teachers (they taught at the Juedischen Volksschule in Munich).
- Also killed in the holocaust were Celine Zeilberger Kissinger's daughter Selma and her husband, Max Blattner, and their beautiful daughter, Louise.
- Eliezer Zeilberger (or Elieser Zeilberger), (Ermershausen, May 6, 1864- Theresianstadt, Jan. 11, 1943), who married Regina Bauer (Sept. 17, 1868-?). Elieser was a teacher at Heinsheim (thans to Judish Berlowitz for finding this link). Regina died of untreated brochitis when she was unable to find a doctor willing to treat her. They had three children:
- Karl Zeilberger (Heinsheim, Sept. 1, 1893 - Heinsheim, June 1, 1918) who was killed in WW I. His military affiliation was: 1/Felda.R.261 Gftr.
- Alfred Zeilberger - Alfred contracted malaria in WWI but survived to emigrate to America. He married Babette ? (?-1999) and they settled in Chicago. He died in the 1970's. He and Babette (who died last month) had no children together (she had two children from a previous marriage).
- Selma Zeilberger Kocherthaler (1897-1980). She married Josef Kocherthaler who died in 1964. They lived in Munich until forced to flee to America. Their two children are:
- - Mina Kocherthaler ( Munich, 1921- New York 1996). Mina was very briefly married and had no children. She fled Germany to England and then came to America and settled in New York City. She was an artist.
- Anni Kocherthaler Newbeck (b. Munich, 1924 ). Anni was on the children's tranport to Switzerland thanks to the intervention of a family friend. After a year and half there, she was able to get the last boat leaving Lisbon for America, crossing the ocean when Pearl Harbor was bombed. She settled in Brooklyn, NY, but later moved to Queens, NY. Anni married Gerald Newbeck in 1947. They ran an importing business for pictures, frames and Christian religious goods. They had one child:
Phyllis Newbeck ( b. New York, 1961 ), who married Charles West in 1989 and who currently works at the University of Vermont investigating discrimination complaints and overseeing compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. They have no children.
- Johanna/Jane (Ermershausen, Aug. 2, 1871-?) who married (Ermershausen, July 7, 1894) with cattle-trader Selig Rosenthal (Gleichwerwiesen, May 9, 1874-?). The wittnesses at the wedding were cattle-trader Mendel Zeilberger, 38-years-old, and religion-teacher David Kissinger, 34-years-old.
I would like to express many thanks to Mrs. Cordula Kappner, director of the Landkreis Hassberge Library, for her extremely generous help in supplying part of the information in this page. I also wish to thank Phyllis Newbeck and her mother Anni Kocherthaler Newbeck for the information about Eliezer Zeilberger and his descendants, and the descendants of Karl Kissinger. I also wish to thank (3/21/00) Elizabeth Levy for supplying information about her great-grandmother Ida Kissinger Friedman's descendants, and more information about David and Celine Z. Kissinger's children. I also wish to thank (3/27/00) Steven Lowenstein, for information about Mendel Zeilberger and his descendants. Many thanks are also due (3/30/00) to David Schwager, who communicated to me his extensive family files. I also wish to thank (Jan. 3, 2007) Judith Esther Levi for corrections. The rest was taken from the book `Kissinger' by Walter Isaacson, Simon and Schuster, 1992.
Last Update: June 16, 2011 (Thanks to Marty Berger).
Previous Update: June 16, 2011 (Thanks to Marty Berger) May 16, 2011 (Thanks to Marty Berger) April 24, 2011 (Thanks to Marty Berger) March 30, 2000; Nov. 23, 2003. [To add Marvin and Herbert Lowenstein]; Jan. 3, 2007: to correct Leopold Zeilberger's children [thanks to Judith Esther Levi]; Jan. 10, 2007: to add three more children of Kusel Zeilberger [thanks to Judith Esther Levi]; Jan. 16, 2007: to add the descendants of Fanni Blaetner [thanks to Judith Esther Levi] Jan. 22, 2007, to put a link to Lea (b. Zeilberger) Sachsendorfer's charming Ermershausen stories (as told to her grandson Steven Lowenstein) [thanks to Steven Lowenstein]. June 4, 2007 [Thanks to Jeff Seitelman]; June 22, 2007 [Thanks to Elizabeth Levy, to add a link to a family picture of Kusel Zeilberger in front of their house]. July 12, 2007, [thanks to Judith Berlowitz for finding his link about Elieser Zeilberger.] ;Aug. 13, 2007[ thanks to Marty Berger]; Sept. 23, 2007, thanks to Pat Freedman; Oct. 1, 2007, thanks to Sherry Steger. Aug. 10, 2008 [Thanks to Rabbi Jeff Marx, who prepared the Hirsch Blaettner tree]
Back to Doron Zeilberger's Home Page