(Pages for previous semesters can be found here.)
Math 135 provides an introduction to calculus, covering limits and continuity, the derivative and tangent lines, applications of the derivative, and basic integration. Math 151 is another introductory calculus course. See below for important policies regarding these two sequences.
Who should take the Math 135 sequence?
- Math 135 is intended and required for many majors in the biological and social sciences.
- Some Economics majors may only need Math 135, but others may also need Math 152. Please see an adviser in your major if you are unsure.
- Students in Rutgers Business School are also currently required to pass Math 135 with a grade of C. (All current details can be found on the RBS web site.)
- It is possible to take Math 152 after Math 135, but this is not a recommended sequence.
- Math 136 does not satisfy the prerequisite for Math 251.
Who should take the Math 151 sequence?
- Math 151 is intended and required for many majors in mathematical and physical sciences.
- Students in Rutgers School of Engineering are also currently required to take Math 151. SOE does not accept Math 135 for CALC1 credit. (All current details can be found on the SOE web site.)
- If you will need Math 152, you should take Math 151 instead of Math 135
- If you will need Math 251, you must take Math 152, whose recommended prerequisite is Math 151. Hence if you will need Math 251, you are strongly recommended to take Math 151 instead of Math 135.
Can I take Calculus I a third time?
- As of Fall 2019, students who have failed Calculus I (either 135 or 151) twice can no longer take the course again at Rutgers -- New Brunswick.
- Students who have failed Calculus I twice because of extenuating circumstances can request an exception by submitting an appeal.
- ATTENTION: Due to the COVID-19 crisis, all students from all schools (including SOE and RBS) who have previously failed Calculus I and then have repeated the class in Spring 2020 obtaining an F or NC can apply to the Math Department for permission to one more attempt during Summer 2020 or Fall 2020 without need of any supporting documentation.
- More details can be found on the special permissions page.
What is the RU Ready Test?
- All students in Math 135 in the fall and spring semesters must take the RU Ready Test. Full details can be found in the FAQ: RU Ready Test.
- Students taking Math 135 in the summer semester do not currently have to take the RU Ready Test.