The Department of Mathematics at Rutgers-New Brunswick is located in the Hill Center* on the Busch Campus of Rutgers University in Piscataway, NJ. (Piscataway is just across the Raritan River from New Brunswick.)
The University page for Hill Center has a map and driving directions. Please click on the map to zoom out.
Also, you can find more specific directions to the Hill Center by going to Google Maps and entering your starting location. Make sure to click "The Hill Center" link on the left hand side and then click "Get directions" and also select "to here" or "from here", depending on what you need. (The reason for doing this is that Google Maps, and other maps sites, does not have the correct location for the Hill Center. Hill Center is across Frelinghuysen Road from the northeast corner of the Rutgers Golf Course. )
*The rigorous definition is as follows: Longitude 74.47168 W, Latitude 40.52180 N.
Our own travel directions are as follows:
Because of road construction on and near the Busch campus, the driving instructions given below may change. The University also provides updated directions at University directions.
NOTE: Rutgers University has five campuses in New Brunswick. The Department of Mathematics is located on the Busch Campus. Road signs marked "Rutgers University" may lead to the wrong campus. If you follow signs, those directing you to "Rutgers Stadium" will bring you to Busch Campus, the location of the Mathematics Department.
From the NJ Turnpike: Take Exit 9 and proceed north (west) on New Jersey Route 18. It is recommended that you use either of the two leftmost lanes of Route 18. Follow Route 18 through New Brunswick and across the John A. Lynch Memorial Bridge. (Ignore the "George Street Rutgers University" exit.) Exit Route 18 at Campus Road (the sign also says Rutgers Stadium and Busch Campus). At the traffic circle, turn right onto Bartholomew Road. At the stop sign, turn left onto Brett Road. Follow Brett road until it vanishes in a maze of parking lots. Visitors with guest permits may park in lot 64, 60A, 60B (or at lot 67 near Brett and Bartholomew Roads). The Hill Center is the seven story dark brick building, located just behind the CORE building. A lot for visitors without permits is available near the visitor's center on Busch campus.
From Interstate Highway 287: Take the exit marked "River Road, Bound Brook, Highland Park" (exit 9), following River Road east toward Highland Park. Continue on River Road past Colgate and past the traffic light at Hoes Lane. At the next left turn lane (not the next possible next left turn), turn left onto Sutphen Rd. At the 4 way stop just beyond the stadium, turn left and follow Frelinghuysen Road. At the traffic circle, continue straight onto Bartholomew Road (i.e., ignore the first right turn and do not continue around the circle). At the stop sign, turn left onto Brett Road. Follow Brett road until it vanishes in a maze of parking lots. Park as indicated above.
Note: If you miss the left turn onto Sutphen Rd., you will soon pass under the overpass for Route 18. Make the next left onto Route 18 North. Exit Route 18 at Campus Road (the sign also says Rutgers Stadium and Busch Campus). At the traffic circle, turn right onto Bartholmew Road. At the stop sign, turn left onto Brett Road. Follow Brett road until it vanishes in a maze of parking lots. Park as indicated above.
From Long Island or New York City Airports: Take the Verrazzano Bridge to the Goethals Bridge to the New Jersey Turnpike and proceed as above.
The Suburban Transit (1-800-222-0492) runs convenient express buses from New York City to New Brunswick. There a few places that they pick up and drop off from. Please check the website to see what is available.
Train service to New Brunswick is provided by Amtrak and NJ Transit. This may require changing trains in Trenton or NY/Penn Station. Amtrak info: 1-800-USA-RAIL; NJ Transit: 1-800-772-2222 from NJ; from out of state: 1-973-762-5100.
Once you reach downtown New Brunswick you can get to the Hill Center by taxi in 10 minutes for approximately $10.00, or by campus bus FREE, in about 10-20 minutes. Buses leave at 10 minute intervals. To reach a campus bus stop from the New Jersey Transit bus station on Albany Street, walk west on Albany St., then take the first right onto George Street and walk two blocks to the first traffic light. Turn left onto Hamilton Street, walk one block and you will see the campus bus shelter on your right across College Avenue. To reach the bus stop from the train station at Albany and Easton, walk uphill on Easton Ave. and turn right onto Hamilton Street at the second traffic light. Walk one block and you will see the campus bus shelter on your left. Take an "A", or "H" bus marked to Busch Campus and get off at the Hill Center.
How to walk from the New Brunswick Train Station to the Hill Center on the Busch Campus of Rutgers University
The nearest airport is Newark Liberty International Airport. If you fly there, you can either
- Take the Airtrain Newark directly from the arrivals terminal to the new Rail Link station and then connect with NJ Transit trains to New Brunswick. (cost is approximately $16.)
- Take a taxi or hired car (the cost is approximately $60 plus tolls plus tip).
- Rent a car.
From Kennedy airport, the cost of a taxi could be as high as $120 plus tolls plus tip.
You should never have to fly via LaGuardia. But if you do, from LaGuardia airport, you can either rent a car or take public transportation to New York City and then on to New Brunswick.
How To Walk from The New Brunswick Train Station To The Hill Center in the Busch Campus of Rutgers University
Last Update: March 28, 2006 [to enter the name of Busch Campus Drive]
Previous Update: June 14, 2005. [To implement the new Busch-College Ave walkway]
First Version: Jan. 14, 2002.
Written By Doron Zeilberger.
There is a safe way to walk, especially now with the new walkway. The whole way takes me appx. 32 minutes [using the new walkway] or 42 minutes [using the old route via Johnson Drive and the Stadium]. The instructions below also apply to biking, and the times then should be divided by 3. [Note by editor: Doron walks quickly.]
- Go to the end of the platform (away from the station, in the direction of the train if you came from the West (Trenton) and in the opposite direction if you came from the East (NY) ), walk downstairs, make a left onto [ If you came from Trenton/Princeton: George and then immediately another left on] Somerset. Walk a block and make a right on College Ave. On the left-hand side, walk to the end of College Avenue and enter Buccleuch park (about 12 min. walks).
- Walk another minute on a path parallel to George St., and a little before the Buccleuch Mansion, make a right that leads to stairs. Walk down the stairs, and carefully cross George St. to the bike path/pedestrian walk on the Lynch bridge.
- After about two to three minutes you have a choice: turn left down to Johnson Drive and go the Old Way (see below, that takes 10 minutes longer) OR:
New Way (June 2005):
- DONT's turn left (downhill), but go straight and continue on the bridge and follow the path all the way to the end [ 7 additional minutes]. This ends at Busch Campus Drive. Take a left and Walk a few steps to the corner of Busch Campus Drive and Sutphen Road. [the street sign just says "Campus Drive"].
- Cross [Busch] Campus Drive at the crosswalk (carefully! the stupid cars go very fast and do not even slow down for you, even though they are supposed to give you the right of way) and make a left. Continue (after a few minutes past a traffic circle) onto Frelinghuysen Rd., and arive at Hill Center (6 minutes).
- Follow that path. It ends at Johnson Drive. (about 5 minutes) Make a right on Johnson Drive.
- Keep walking until you hit Landing Lane (3 minutes) after crossing Landing Lane (carefully!) make a right, staying on Landing Lane.
- Walk on the shoulder until you hit the light at River Rd. (2 minutes). Push the button for crossing. When the light turns GREEN, Cross carefully (watching the cars that are turning left, it is your right of way, but you still have to be careful, the light is very short and the cars are impatient.)
- Now you are at the beginning of a steep uphill path that leads to the Stadium. You hit the Stadium at the Hale Center. (3 minutes)
- After you hit the stadium at Hale Center, walk on the sidewalk along the stadium. At the North Entrance, cross Sutphen Road on the crosswalk (carefully!), and make a left (1.5 minutes)
- After less than a minute you hit FITCH Rd., make a right on Fitch. On your left you will have a Golf course, and on your right you have first D-field and behind it the Busch Bubble, and later Yurack Field. At Yurack Field, Fitch Rd. continues to the right. Instead of turning right, keep going straight, still with the Golf course to your left, and Yurack Field on the right. You can see Hill Center at the top of the Hill. Walk to the end of that path (it ends at Parking Lot 53A), until you hit Frelinghuysen. Turn left, and after a few seconds cross Frelinghuysen at the crosswalk. (8 minutes)]