Complaints and Grade Appeals

Complaint Resolution

Q. How do I appeal or file a complaint something pertaining to a math course, including, but not limited to, a grade appeal?

A. Students wishing to file a complaint about any aspect of a math course, including in particular a course grade, or a grade received for a particular piece of work in a course, should first attempt to resolve the matter through discussion with the instructor. If the issue cannot be satisfactorily resolved between student and instructor, the student may specify in writing the basis for the complaint and request a review by the math department's ombudsperson. To begin this process, the student needs to contact the math undergraduate office at    (or phone 848-445-2390 and press 2 for the undergraduate office) and ask for the "ombudsman appeal form."  The completed form should be returned to the undergraduate office at the same email address.

A written complaint about a grade for work completed while the course is in progress must be submitted to the math department's ombudsperson no later than two weeks after notification of the grade. A student must submit a written complaint about a final course grade to the math department's ombudsperson no later than four weeks after the end of the exam period for that term.  

The decision reached by the ombudsperson is considered the decision of the department.   The  decision of the department, can be appealed according to the instructions on the SAS page: