Transfer Students

Transfer or Pre-Approval of Courses Taken Elsewhere

Q. As a transfer student arriving at Rutgers, how do I get my courses taken elsewhere evaluated for credit at Rutgers?

A. See the Head advisor. For courses taken outside the state of New Jersey bring in a syllabus if possible.


Q. As a continuing Rutgers student, when and how do I get approval of courses I wish to take elsewhere?

A. Before registering for a summer course in mathematics taken elsewhere, see the Head Advisor to review your prerequisites and the acceptability of the course. No course given in a session of less than 5 weeks is accepted.


  • Undergraduate students at Rutgers (New Brunswick/Piscataway) MUST have prior written approval from their college (or SAS) before taking a course elsewhere that they want to transfer onto their Rutgers transcript. If such approval is not obtained, no credit will be awarded.
  • The Rutgers New Brunswick/Piscataway Math Department will not approve the transfer of any 3 or more credit course offered in any Session (Summer, Winter, or other) lasting less than 5 weeks.
  • The Rutgers New Brunswick/Piscataway Department will not approve the transfer of courses taught at sites off the campus of the college offering them.
  • Courses that are more than 10 years old are eligible to receive elective credit only and will not be given credit equivalent to a Rutgers New Brunswick course.

Evaluation Forms

Note: Make sure to also fill out the Transfer Credit Application for Mathematics Courses after reading When to Fill Out Math Transfer Credit Application.